The PEACE Project

Chad Kitching ckitchng at mb.sympatico.ca
Mon Mar 12 12:38:35 CST 2001

"Patrik Stridvall" <ps at leissner.se> wrote:
>Not impressed, eventhough we could and probably
>should do that in the future.
>
>However if we hide the fact Wine is run, many user
>will not realize that it really is Wine's fault
>that their Win32 application crashes and say to
>their friends that Linux is unstable which gives
>Linux a bad reputation. We don't want that do we?
>
>So we probably shouldn't make it transparent at
>least not as long Wine still is alpha.

On Linux, it would not be all that difficult to do with the misc executable
support already integrated into most standard kernels.  A simple shell
command such as the following would implement exactly what he's talking
about:
   echo ":DOSWin:M::MZ::/usr/local/bin/wine:" >
/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register

I'm not sure how difficult/easy it would be to do on the other platforms
Wine runs on, but their method seems like overkill.