The PEACE Project

Patrik Stridvall ps at leissner.se
Mon Mar 12 15:11:42 CST 2001

> > > What is the difference from other Win32 emulators?
> > >
> > > Actually, PEACE is éWin32-compatible package' rather than
> > > éemulator' because
> > > different from Wine and WABI,
> >
> > And Wine isn't a "Win32-compatible package"?
> >
> > > PEACE does not have éemulator
> > > executable'.
> > > EXE files are directly executed from sh or csh.
> >
> > The above is IMHO a rather clintonesque use of the words
> > emulator and executable. They hide the comparable code
> > in NetBSD's dynamic linker instead.
> >

> Clintonesque?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  That's really good
> dude!  I guess it
> follows in the tradition of words like "nasty".

It follows the same tradition as the word quisling which means
"A traitor that serves as the puppet of the enemy
occuping his or her country."
after Vidkun Quisling the notorius Norwegian traitor.

Being clintonesque means "Deliberately distorting the meaning of a
word or words in order to make somebody believe something that is
not true."

Compare Bill Clinton saying "I did not have sex with that woman"
using a rather non standard definition of the word sex.

In the case PEACE this might not have been deliberate, but because
of ignorance, so perhaps the use of the word clintonesque was
too harsh.

> > Not impressed, eventhough we could and probably
> > should do that in the future.
> >

> I thought there was another kernel module running around that
> loaded wine
> for exe files.  Used BINFMT_MISC or something?

See Chad's mail.

> > However if we hide the fact Wine is run, many user
> > will not realize that it really is Wine's fault
> > that their Win32 application crashes and say to
> > their friends that Linux is unstable which gives
> > Linux a bad reputation. We don't want that do we?
> >
> > So we probably shouldn't make it transparent at
> > least not as long Wine still is alpha.
> >

> Should there ever be a kernel module exe loader?

The advantage of a kernel module loader is that you can do
relocation on demand as well as having the ability to just
discard such pages when memory is low instead of swapping them out.

> Codeweavers is on the right track here, allowing users to
> launch Windows
> apps from gnome by creating a file association.

Agreed.

> > > PEACE consists of the following 3 components:
> > >
> > >  1.In-kernel *.EXE loader
> >
> > Can't find the source but can't imagine it is very complicated.
> > Probably somthing similar to what David Howells did for Linux.
> >

> I thought David's module was implementing the Wine in kernel
> space (e.g.
> part 3 of this).  This part can be done with or without
> having Wine in the
> kernel.

Not quite he is trying to implement the Wine _server_ in kernel space.
ie approximately thoses things that requires some sort of intra-process
communication.

> > I really can't understand why they don't cooperate
> > with us in the Wine project instead.
>
> I cannot either.  I know that there is this whole thing about
> wanting to
> write your own code for stuff, but that is usually a waste of time.
> Furthermore, the Wine project is developed in an extremely
> open way by a lot
> of very talented developers.  It is a real shame to see
> someone who could
> obviously help out the Wine project going out and doing their
> own program.
>
> Anyone can join the wine development team.  Simply subscribe
> to wine-devel
> and wine-patches and start hacking.  Because all patches go through
> Alexandre before going into CVS every developer has basically
> equal chances
> of getting their patch into the tree (assuming that it is
> following the
> overall architecture goals of Wine).

Indeed and if they prefer not to communicate in english,
setting up a wine-devel-jp mailing list shouldn't be a problem.

Most of the patches they send in will "speak" for itself
without any or at least only a very short explaination.

> Actually, I would say wine is an
> extremely good example of the open source development process.
>
> There is also no licensing issue with Wine, it's under such a liberal
> license that anyone can use it!

Agreed.