OpenGL Visual Management

Gavriel State gav at transgaming.com
Thu Mar 29 00:23:16 CST 2001

lawson_whitney at juno.com wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Gavriel State wrote:
>
> > This patch fixes several issues with the way OpenGL manages visuals:
>
> Something is not right, I think.  Ordinary apps (Dmitry's About.exe,
> say) look as if they were using a vga16 server - unless the pointer is
> over the desktop:  then the entire X display is black and white.
> Without a desktop with managed moving the pointer over the app's window
> radically changes the palette for the whole screen, but not to black and
> white.  With neither managed nor desktop, the pointer has no effect on
> the palette.

Argh.  I'm getting the same behaviour in 8-bit mode on my NVidia card.  I
don't remember getting it when testing the 3dfx card I just loaned out to
someone.  Maybe I flubbed the 8-bit testing there...

Can you tell me:
  - What video card you're using
  - What bit depth and resolution you've got
  - Whether the behaviour continues if you turn off the setup_opengl_visual()
    call in dlls/x11drv/x11drv_main.c
  - Whether notepad.exe exhibits the same behaviour (that's the only non
    game app I run on a regular basis for testing).

> No doubt I am not well set up for DGA:

DGA shouldn't matter for this stuff at all.

> I haven't really looked into it much yet...maybe you will see right off
> what you or I have done wrong?

At a guess - the privately created ColorMaps need to take their initial colors
from the Default Color Map?

I'll try to have a further look into it tomorrow.  Sorry for any wasted time.

 -Gav

--
Gavriel State, CEO
TransGaming Technologies Inc.