Question on exposing non-windows functions from dlls...

Ove Kaaven ovehk at ping.uio.no
Fri May 18 11:59:12 CDT 2001

On Fri, 18 May 2001, Mike Bond wrote:

> I just submitted a patch to wine-patches that provides the implementation
> of spawnl and spawnlp. I had been hoping to implement execl and execlp as
> well but found that the underlying functionality that I would need is not
> exposed outside scheduler/process.c. My question is what guidelines are
> there, if any, are there to exposing non-win functions, such as
> exec_wine_binary in scheduler/process.c?

The guidelines are pretty simple and easy to understand: with a very few
*very* exceptional exceptions, never ever expose them. And definitely
never to non-core DLLs such as msvcrt - there's no reason an application
DLL like msvcrt can't be implemented on top of the Win32 API the same way
it's implemented on Windows.