Question on exposing non-windows functions from dlls...

Mike Bond mbond at cox.rr.com
Fri May 18 13:32:17 CDT 2001

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 06:59:12PM +0200, Ove Kaaven wrote:

> On Fri, 18 May 2001, Mike Bond wrote:
>
> > I just submitted a patch to wine-patches that provides the implementation
> > of spawnl and spawnlp. I had been hoping to implement execl and execlp as
> > well but found that the underlying functionality that I would need is not
> > exposed outside scheduler/process.c. My question is what guidelines are
> > there, if any, are there to exposing non-win functions, such as
> > exec_wine_binary in scheduler/process.c?
>
> The guidelines are pretty simple and easy to understand: with a very few
> *very* exceptional exceptions, never ever expose them. And definitely
> never to non-core DLLs such as msvcrt - there's no reason an application
> DLL like msvcrt can't be implemented on top of the Win32 API the same way
> it's implemented on Windows.

If you can point me to some way of implementing _exec[lv][ep] using the
standard win32 API I would be more than willing to. Unfortunately that
was one arguable shortcoming of win32 process management in that it did not
have any interface that allowed loading and running an image in-process.

--
TTFN
MikeB