vxd support?

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Fri May 18 17:28:21 CDT 2001

On Fri, 18 May 2001, Osvaldo Fornaro wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I were far from the project for a while, so sorry if this topic is trivial,
> but I wish to use a parallel port scanner with wine. Under Windows, appears a
> device to treat the parallel port as a SCSI port, but is based on a VxD
> archive, and wine don't find it.
>
> Is there any solution to deal with VxD or not yet?

   No, and ther most likely never will be.

   VxDs are more or less equivalent to Linux's kernel modules: most need
direct access to the hardware, must run in ring 0 (the most priviledged
level of the processor) and use a separate API (the DDK API rather than
the Win32 API). So Wine does not deal with VxDs.
   Maybe we should add a section in the Wine User Guide to list what
Wine does not do right after 'Wine capabilities':
http://wine.codeweavers.com/docs/wine-user/wine-stats.shtml#WINE-CAPABILITIES

        It really galls me that most of the computer power in the world
                          is wasted on screen savers.
                     Chris Caldwell from the GIMPS project
                       http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm