Question on exposing non-windows functions from dlls...

Mike Bond mbond at cox.rr.com
Tue May 22 07:45:29 CDT 2001

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 06:59:12PM +0200, Ove Kaaven wrote:
> The guidelines are pretty simple and easy to understand: with a very few
> *very* exceptional exceptions, never ever expose them. And definitely
> never to non-core DLLs such as msvcrt - there's no reason an application
> DLL like msvcrt can't be implemented on top of the Win32 API the same way
> it's implemented on Windows.

I have gone ahead and implemented most of the exec variants as described
just terminating the previous process, the internal spawn implementation
already provided a flag to accomplish this easily.

On the question of determining compatibility, what methods are we "allowed"
to persue? For instance, I created a small test app for the exec variants,
tested it under Windows NT then under Wine. I would hope this is a valid
method, but with the way the lawyers work, it's sometimes hard to tell.

As a note, it seems NT is doing the same thing as they end up with different
address spaces and pids after execl.

--
TTFN
MikeB