SystemParametersInfo: Screen Save actions

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Fri Nov 16 14:13:58 CST 2001

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Andriy Palamarchuk wrote:
[...]
> I removed affecting X settings because I did not see
> reasons to keep them. You gave me more than enough.
>
> > What is *not* needed is some stupid Windows program
> > messing with my
> > nicely configured timeouts :)
>
> Would you mind about messing the settings temporarily
> :-) I'm going to implement integration in such way
> that the changes to settings from Wine will be only
> temporary - while single X session.
> If user wants to have it permanently he/she should
> change X configuration.

   I keep my X server running for 10 to 90 days at a time. So
'temporary' is not so temporary.

   But do we really have Windows applications that mess with the
timeouts? Unless we know of many applications that really do stupid
things, we should let them modify the screensaver timeouts. Otherwise it
is just paranoia. And if we don't trust Windows applications we should
not let them run in the first place. They are many things worse than
changing the screensaver settings that they could do: just imagine all
you can do with an evil API like DeleteFile, or CreateWindow.

> > We should probably output a warning message
> > informing the user that we won't
> > modify the timeout, though.
>
> There will be very many such messages. I would not
> like to do that - useful Wine output can be lost.

   Maybe just a TRACE then. Or maybe a warn though that may be too much.

> > Hmm, again, could someone fix the horrible bug in
> > SPI_SETSCREENSAVERACTIVE ?
> > This one leads to pretty stupid blanking in both
> > movie players and,
> > more importantly, InstallShield installers !!

   Ah, so that's why many installers have this awful flicker.

Andriy asked:
> Do you suggest another extreme - "Integrate with X whenever
> possible"? If not, where do you suggest to draw the line between
> these two extremes?

   I would say that I lean in favor of the "Integrate with X whenever
possible" option. But I did not study all the SPI_ settings in enough
details to really say that it always makes sense. As Alexandre says
there can be exceptions: just not the same ones. Though it may be that
by putting our exceptions together we manage to cover all of the SPI
settings ;-)

                     Avoid the Gates of Hell - use Linux.