Patches for FreeBSD 5.x compilation

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Mon Nov 19 15:49:30 CST 2001

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 01:22:35PM -0800, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr> writes:
>
> >    I guess that one day Alexandre is going to argue that Linux should
> > stop polluting the namespace with 'struct user'...
>
> Well, struct user is the only reason for including sys/user.h, so I
> guess it can be considered acceptable; but anything else defined in
> there (like struct user_regs_struct on Linux) is namespace pollution
> too IMO.

Can you please explain how this is namespace pollution on the
part of the OS?  AFAIK, <sys/user.h> is not specified by any
Standard (ISO C89, C90, or C99).  <sys/user.h> can include
any (unprotected) variable name.  If an application includes
<sys/user.h>, then the application should be prepared to
deal with conflicts.

--
Steve