Access Control Functions

Karl Bielefeldt kbielefe at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 30 19:59:25 CST 2001

I am new to open source development and to the wine project so please
forgive me for sounding like a newbie.  I think wine is great and the key to
the growth of Linux in the desktop market.

I decided to begin my efforts by debugging the installation of MS Money 2001
(my wife's must-have MS program) on a completely non-windows box.  This led
to needing to install the msiexec installer (instmsia.exe, available from MS
website).

Everything works okay until we get to the access control functions.
advapi32.OpenProcessToken calls ntdll.OpenProcessToken, which is just a
stub.  Now, as far as I can tell, the stubs default to the least restrictive
set of permissions, which I believe is fine for our purposes.  The problem
comes when the program calls  kernel32.CloseHandle on the non-existent
handle that was returned by the OpenProcessToken stub.

Somebody please stop me if there is an easier way of solving this problem.

It looks like we at least need to create some sort of dummy handle that can
be removed by kernel32.CloseHandle without causing an error.  To do this we
would need to add an open_process_token request handler to the wineserver
(perhaps in a new file server/access.c).  Another alternative would be to
create an open_dummy_handle request handler in server/handle.c that could be
used for any generic dummy handle.  The advantage of the first method is
that if someone decides to implement  all the access control functions
properly, the framework is already in place.  Probably some combination of
the two is best.

I am willing to do the coding myself, but I'm unsure of the procedures for
open source development.  How do you decide what changes are to be made, how
do you submit your changes, how do you make sure you don't undo what someone
else did, and things like that?  I also am having trouble finding
documentation on the make_requests tool.

Thanks for tolerating my newbieness.  I'm looking forward to being able to
start contributing to this great project.

--Karl Bielefeldt
kbielefe at hotmail.com