Nasty Evil Memory Fragmentation fix

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Thu Oct 11 17:15:26 CDT 2001

Ove Kaaven <ovehk at ping.uio.no> writes:

> Not that much. Wine's allocator already implements the *features* of that
> allocator (boundary tags, bins), it just doesn't implement all the
> *strategies* used for selecting which free block to allocate memory from
> (though the only big things we lack there is "best fit" and "wilderness
> preservation", the latter of which Alexandre talked about).

Well, we do have (almost) best fit, that's the only reason for having
multiple free lists. It's just that we probably need more bins sizes
to make it really useful.

> We just need
> to make sure Wine's free block selection routine uses the same strategies
> as this allocator, and we'd get exactly the same performance as that
> allocator, but without replacing the whole thing and sacrificing the
> compatibility we have or introducing new bugs.

Well, this depends how easy it is to plug the new allocator in; but if
it doesn't require too many changes, it will certainly introduce less
bugs than trying to tweak the existing code. Plus all the profiling
work has been done already, which would have to be done on the Wine
code.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com