winemaker

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Fri Oct 12 20:51:29 CDT 2001

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Francois Gouget wrote:

>    I don't have Wine installed on my system. I just have Wine CVS source
> trees here and there. So when I compile a foo Winelib application I get
> a symbolic link to: /home/fgouget/wine/wine. I think it would be wrong
> to 'install' this foo application in /usr/local/bin and have it be a
> symlink to '/home/fgouget/wine/wine'! This is why install copies foo so
> that what you get is a copy of the wine executable.

That makes sense, if you have space in your wine cellar.

>    OTOH it could be argued that since if Wine is not installed on the
> system, then it is impossible to install a Winelib application: the Wine
> libraries and dlls would all be missing anyway. Conversely, if you do
> have Wine installed on the system, then you should compile your Winelib
> application against that Wine and then installing the Winelib
> application as a symlink to '/usr/local/bin/wine' may not be so bad.

The Wine executable is so tiny anymore it isn't all that big a deal if
we have a few extra copies.

>    I believe that Alexandre's position is that Winelib applications
> should not be symlinks but scripts that call wine. This would have the
> nice effect of fixing all these issues. It would also create an
> opportunity to set PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, WINEPREFIX and whatever other
> environment variable may need to be set/overriden.

Right.  It shifts some peripheral issues so they are definitely not his
problem.  It is hard for me to disagree with Alexandre, except on the
very rare occasion when I am right.

Well, would it be appropriate for winemaker to generate a rudimentary
script?  Or would you rather leave that to the individual Winelib
developer?

>    Now, on to the more specific bugs that you have found.
>
>    This could also affect all other for loops. I have a solution for
> this.

I couldn't see how this would make a difference, but there is a lot I
don't know...

_list=""; for i in $_list); do (cd $i; make install) || exit 1; done
/bin/sh: -c: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `;'
/bin/sh: -c: line 1: `_list=""; for i in $_list); do (cd $i; make install) || exit 1; done'
make: *** [install] Error 2

I guess that must be an old autoconf.  Everything else I think should be
pretty well up to date.

Autoconf version 2.13

>    Ok, I am sending a patch to wine-patches fixing all this.

> --
> Francois Gouget         fgouget at free.fr        http://fgouget.free.fr/
>    Nouvelle version : les anciens bogues ont été remplacés par de nouveaux.

Thanks.  The Winelib part of the app is in pretty good shape, but I
don't want to try to make a configure.in for the rest of it.  I will
though, I guess.

Lawson
---oof---