Unimplemented control 256 for VxD device VNETBIOS

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Thu Oct 18 05:40:47 CDT 2001

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 12:21:35PM +0200, Patrik Stridvall wrote:
> Hmm. Reading MSDN...
>
> There is a DLL called NETAPI32.DLL that is not currentlu implemented in Wine
> that has a function Netbios that possible calls the VNETBIOS VxD.
>
> Perhaps implementing this DLL in Wine would help at least it would be
> better than trying the figure out what the VNETBIOS VxD does.
>
> The function Netbios in NETAPI32.DLL is at least documented.
Well, provided that the program actually called into NETAPI32 and not directly
into VNETBIOS...

> Hmm. Reading some more...
>
> Netbios has a command NCBASTAT that retreives the adapter status
> in a structure called ADAPTER_STATUS that has a field:
>
> UCHAR adapter_address[6]; // Specifies encoded address of the adapter.
>
> This might be the MAC address.
You could bet that it is, given that it's 6 bytes long, just like a MAC
address.

> Implementing this in Wine wouldn't be that hard.
> If Linux provides a way to get the MAC that is.
>
> I assume Linux does but I don't know how. Does anybody else know?
Huh ?
Well, of course ifconfig eth0 gives it as the "HWaddr" field.
I guess you might want to read ifconfig source in order to find out
where it gathers HWaddr from...

Tel. +49 7159 800604                http://home.nexgo.de/andi.mohr/