Page faults and instruction emulation

Alexandre Julliard julliard at
Fri Oct 19 10:52:58 CDT 2001

Ove Kaaven <ovehk at> writes:

> Well, perhaps it could depend on the windows version somehow...

No, you really don't want to have the layout of core data structures
depend on the version.

> Maybe... I was just concerned whether you'd like Wine to be subject to
> lawsuits or something (reverse engineering, trade secrets, DMCA,
> whatever... not that the kernel driver is really complex, though).
> Also, I was afraid some games might refuse to work with --winver nt40

I don't think lawsuits should be a problem, as long as we make a
reasonable effort to implement the correct functionality and not just
fake it. Of course there's always a risk that someone will sue, but
these days the risk exists as soon as you release 3 lines of code.

We really should move towards an NT-like architecture as much as
possible; this is where Windows is going too, and it's the only one we
have a chance of making work 100% correctly. We'll never be able to
implement the full brokenness of the Win95 "architecture" anyway, so
it's better to concentrate on the things that we can make work right.

Alexandre Julliard
julliard at