Page faults and instruction emulation

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Fri Oct 19 10:52:58 CDT 2001

Ove Kaaven <ovehk at ping.uio.no> writes:

> Well, perhaps it could depend on the windows version somehow...

No, you really don't want to have the layout of core data structures
depend on the version.

> Maybe... I was just concerned whether you'd like Wine to be subject to
> lawsuits or something (reverse engineering, trade secrets, DMCA,
> whatever... not that the kernel driver is really complex, though).
> Also, I was afraid some games might refuse to work with --winver nt40

I don't think lawsuits should be a problem, as long as we make a
reasonable effort to implement the correct functionality and not just
fake it. Of course there's always a risk that someone will sue, but
these days the risk exists as soon as you release 3 lines of code.

We really should move towards an NT-like architecture as much as
possible; this is where Windows is going too, and it's the only one we
have a chance of making work 100% correctly. We'll never be able to
implement the full brokenness of the Win95 "architecture" anyway, so
it's better to concentrate on the things that we can make work right.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com