error at winelib program

David Elliott dfe at tgwbd.org
Tue Oct 23 16:59:41 CDT 2001

On 2001.10.23 14:34 Guilherme Kunz wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     All programs was compiled with winemaker.
>
> $ ./dlg32
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> $ gdb dlg32 core
> GNU gdb 5.0
> Core was generated by `./dlg32'.
> Reading symbols from /usr/local/lib/libntdll.so...Segmentation fault
> (core
> dumped)
>
> $ winedbg dlg32
> Console: Making console complex (creating an xterm)...
> xterm: unable to open font "vga", trying "fixed"....
> passed master doesn't match slave name
>
> I am using:
> gcc 2.96
> kernel 2.2.19
> mfc 4.2 compiled
> wine by CVS 20011023
>
> Any idea ?? What is the problem with winedbg ?? and gdb ?? i already had
> tried with gcc 2.95 !!
> Thank You

Was this a clean compile of Wine or a CVS update?  Have you changed other
system configurations between compiling wine (i.e. upgraded the libc or
other library)?

If so you should try a make distclean (in any rate be sure config.cache is
gone).

Also, GCC 2.96 has issues.  It is a great version of GCC if and only if you
are sure you have the latest release of it from Red Hat.  The first 2.96
had some major, major problems.  The later releases from Red Hat are plenty
good enough to compile the kernel (well, 2.4.x anyway).

Although from the looks of it if you have 2.2.19 I am assuming that is the
redhat release of that so I am assuming you also would have upgraded gcc.

Also note that I think RH has released glibc 2.2.4 for ALL RH 7.x
platforms.  Upgrade all of this stuff, make distclean, and then ./configure
; make depend && make.

Also, have you tried debugging a simpler case (i.e. add a NULL pointer
dereference at various places in the wine init code (i.e. before it sets up
its SIGSEGV handler for winedbg, since that seems to be what is going on
here).

There was also an issue with debugmsgs sometimes causing a coredump a few
days ago which has since been fixed.

-Dave