PATCH: revert version change

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Oct 23 19:28:46 CDT 2001

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Marcus Meissner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There was following change to misc/version.c:
>     revision 1.44
>     date: 2001/07/27 23:57:38;  author: julliard;  state: Exp;  lines: +1 -1
>     Bob Goodwin <goodie1 at pacbell.net>
>     Fix the 16bit win95 version.
>
> This makes for instance InstallShield, that uses DOS3CALLs to check for win95,
> report a Bad Windows Version. (Installer of Monkey Island 3)
>
> Reference wine-devel post is:
>     http://www.winehq.com/hypermail/wine-devel/2001/07/0085.html
>
> If there is a testprogram, I can still boot Windows 95...

   Ladislav Sladecek <lsla at post.cz> posted a program to check the 16bit
version back in august:
   http://www.winehq.com/hypermail/wine-devel/2001/08/0275.html

   I think the revert is the right thing to do. And this is what I get
on the Win95 computers I have access to. I also recently found that
quite a few installers are not happy with 0x0304.
   I attached Ladislav's 16bit test application and also attached a
application I wrote that dumps what the 32bit GetVersion and
GetVersionEx return.

   Bob, how did you come up with 0x07000304? Was it from the Daggerfall
application or from a windows computer? If the latter, then could you
run the attached tests and report what the results?

   Here are the result of the tests I have done here:

 * Win95 (the original version):
   It does indeed return 0x5f03 in 16bit mode.
   The CSDVersion does not seem to match in 32bit mode:
GetVersion:
  version   = 0xc0000004
GetVersionInfoEx:
  size      = 148
  major     = 4
  minor     = 0
  build     = 0x40003b6
  platform  = VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_WINDOWS
  CSDVersion= ""                            vs. "Win95" in Wine

   I don't know if this could cause problems.

 * Win98SE:
   Returns 0x5f03 in 16bit mode, like Wine.
   No problem in 16bit mode. In 32bit mode I get some discrepencies,
probably because this is SE and not the original 98:
GetVersion:
  version   = 0xc0000a04
GetVersionInfoEx:
  size      = 148
  major     = 4
  minor     = 10
  build     = 0x40a08ae                     vs. 0x40A07CE in Wine
  platform  = VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_WINDOWS
  CSDVersion= " A "                         vs. "Win98" in Wine

 * NT4:
   Everything is fine.

   Tonight I hope to get results for Win2000 and WinXP.

               RFC 2549: ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2549.txt
                IP over Avian Carriers with Quality of Service