ptrace differences in kernel 2.4.7

Simon Britnell ughbash at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 24 05:31:28 CDT 2001

Having reviewed the changelog for Linux 2.4.7, I find
that the ptrace attach code was amalgamated from many
architecture dependant files into one function :
ptrace_attach.  This function differs from previous
functions on i386 in that it returns EPERM if:

1) task->mm is NULL
2) task->pid <= 1
3) !task->mm->dumpable whereas pre 2.4.7 was
   !task->dumpable

Further investigation shows that dumpable has been
moved from task_struct to mm_struct.  My investigation
has not been sufficient to determine the final cause,
but most things can be overridden by CAP_SYS_PTRACE,
which I'll look into tomorrow PM.  G'night all.