Bugs involving returning strings from API functions

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Fri Sep 7 15:42:56 CDT 2001

"Justin Santa Barbara" <justinsb at hotmail.com> writes:

> As I see it, the advantage of a helper function is that for about the same
> amount of work of fixing GetSystemDirectory and GetCurrentDirectory, all the
> functions should work the same way meaning any bugs would quickly be found.
> It might also be possible to optimize the case where buflen=0, while this
> isn't practical per-function.  Should I offer a patch only for wine/files/*
> ?

I'm afraid there are too many variations to make this useful. It would
be nice if all APIs that return strings behaved the same way, but
unfortunately this is not the case: some count the terminating null,
some don't, some copy partial strings when the buffer is too small,
some don't copy anything, etc. We would need about as many helpers as
there are API functions. Also be aware that the MSDN doc cannot be
trusted at all on this matter, the correct behavior needs to be
verified for each function.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com