Option to disable XVidMode

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Sat Sep 8 14:45:04 CDT 2001

On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, Ove Kaaven wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, François Gouget wrote:
>

> >    I had a report of a crash and it turned out to happen during the
> > XVidMode initialization.
> > What happened is that for some unknown reason XF86VidModeGetAllModeLines
> > returned a single mode with a width and/or height of zero
> > (htotal/vtotal). This caused a division by zero in convert_modeline.
>
> Last time this happened, we considered this a bug in the X server, as
> under these circumstances, xvidtune also crashes.

   It might still be nice to automatically detect such buggy drivers and
then either completely disable XVidMode, or ignore such modelines. Can
we get three modelines with just one such invalid modeline in the
middle? In the example I got there was only one modeline anyway.

> >    Then will come the work of trying to reproduce the problem and see
> > how best to deal with this server (XFree86-SVGA 4.1.0 apparently).
>
> I don't think such a server exists. There's either XFree86 4.x with
> loadable driver modules, or there's XFree86-SVGA 3.x. The latter sounds
> more likely to have this kind of bug.

   Yes, I meant the SVGA driver of XFree86 4.1.0 (from Debian SID). I
was explained that this is so because the laptop's graphics card is not
supported by an accelerated driver.

                  Hiroshima '45 - Czernobyl '86 - Windows '95