DdeConnect errors while running setup.exe

Ian D . Stewart idstewart at compuvative.com
Sun Sep 30 15:12:09 CDT 2001

Dear Wine Developers,

Due to resource constraints (75 MHz processor, 1.2 GB hard drive, 16 MB
RAM), we recently replaced Windows98 on our daughter's PC with Linux
Mandrake, using the IceWM window manager.  It isn't quite as flashy as
Windows, but it boots beyond the startup screen, which is more than can be
said for Win98.

Well, to make a long story short, I've installed and configured Wine
following the instructions in the Wine User's Guide.  Everything seems to
be working properly, but when I attempted to run the setup.exe for 'Jim
Henson Muppets Letters: Capital & Small', I received the following errors:

	err:ddeml:DdeConnect .. but no Server window available
	err:ddeml:DdeClientTransaction Invalid conversation handle
	err:ddeml:DdeClientTransaction Invalid conversation handle
	err:ddeml:DdeClientTransaction Invalid conversation handle
	fixme:ddeml:DdeUninitialize16  stub calling DdeUninitialize

Following the recomendations in the Wine User's Guide, section 3.2
(Installing Wine Without Windows), I re-ran wine with --debug msg
+module,+file.  I didn't see anything in the trace that jumped out at me,
but I've attached it here, just in case it means something to someone else.

One last thing.  The setup.exe appears to be a 16-bit app, originally
designed for Windows 3.1.  Not sure if that makes any difference or not.

Any help in resolving this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Ian D. Stewart
--
"God may have mercy.  We will not."