Unicode, i18n support

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at sun.consumer.org.il
Mon Apr 1 01:07:06 CST 2002

Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:

>One more thing that should be addressed IMO as the part of the unicode
>support in Wine: file APIs. For instance in the current state all russian
>file names created by windows programs are completely unreadable in Linux
>because they are created in code page 1251 but native russian encoding
>in Linux is KOI8-R (code page 20866). Therefore all file APIs should
>work with unicode natively, and convert file names to code page specified
>somewhere in the config file (like [x11drv]/TextCP) on create, and vice versa
>on reading file names from disk.

I don't think this is a WINE issue. Depending on whether you access
those files via a local mount or SMB, the translation between 1251 and
20866 should be taken care of in the filesystem or via SMB respectively.
After all, I don't see any reason that WINE will be able to access these
files, but regular Linux/BSD users won't.

One more thing I don't understand is this. The filenames are a list of
bytes. When setting the codepage inside WINE to 1251, does it still not
see them correctly?

                Shachar