Unicode, i18n support

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at sun.consumer.org.il
Mon Apr 1 06:57:23 CST 2002

Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:

>Filenames, created by windows programs running under Wine, of course are
>seen correctly *under Wine*. But regular Linux applications for apparent
>reasons display them incorrectly, but still can open them.
>
>>One more thing I don't understand is this. The filenames are a list of
>>bytes. When setting the codepage inside WINE to 1251, does it still not
>>see them correctly?
>>

>See above.

I think what you have now is the best solution you can opt for.

If I understood correctly, WINE uses 1251, but Linux the 20866 (you'll
have to excuse me, Russian was, in fact, on my "todo" list to learn, but
I never got around to it). The reason I think this is the best move is
because this way WINE is compatible with Windows, and creates no more
serious compatibility problems with Windows than Windows does.

I would particularily recommend against switching WINE to 20866 in light
of the fact that the only text editor I know that supports UNICODE is
Notepad. Most applications are not UNICODE, and running those apps on
WINE would become impossible if WINE did not use the same codepage as
Windows. You don't know how many buggy apps are out there assuming
things they shouldn't about things.

In my history I've had one application that stored binary stuff in the
registry under the "string" type. All went well until my program stored
that data intermediatly as UNICODE, using a Japanese (MBCS) locale. Some
byte combinations produced illegal characters, and were translated back
to "?", and the app would break. Moral - if compatibility is what your'e
after, be compatible. Don't rely on apps to behave themselves.

                Shachar