dynamic .fon conversion

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Tue Apr 2 08:38:53 CST 2002

"Huw D M Davies" <h.davies1 at physics.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> >    Now, IIRC (Huw will correct me if I'm wrong), it was said that
> > FreeType also supports Postscript fonts and .fon fonts. So the way to go
> > would be to extend Wine's FreeType support to .fon fonts.
>
> Yes, that's the idea.  At the moment we ignore any font that isn't
> sfnt format (that's anything that isn't TT or OpenType).  The issues
> are that we need to implement something sensible for GetGlyphOutline
> and GetOutlineTextMetrics for bitmap or Type1 fonts.

I would expect that for at least very first time that functions will
fail for bitmap fonts and return glyph data in GGO_BEZIER format for
Type1 fonts. Later we can add cubic <-> quadratic spline conversion
routines and some special handling for bitmap fonts. Most applications
don't use or provide advanced vector graphics at all. As a side effect
of adding support for bitmap fonts will be retired x11drv font support.
and a possibility for real WYSIWYG in printing.

--
Dmitry.