Unicode, i18n support

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Apr 2 16:20:11 CST 2002

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Waldek Hebisch wrote:

> > misunderstood me and decided that I propose to use code page 20866
> > instead of 1251 for russian locale under Wine. But that's not the case.
> > I only proposed to create filenames on disk in encoding used natively
> > in Linux.
> I think that the right way is to have code conversion option in
> wine.config, as one of Wine mount options. That way we will be able
> to handle most weird configuration (like UTF-8 on native Linux, cp 1251
> on removable media).

   So if I understand correctly, Linux does not provide a uniform
interface to the filesystem. I.e. if I do 'touch ~/foo' where foo
contains weird characters I must make sure these are the right
characters for the codepage used by ~, and then if I do 'touch
/mnt/win98/foo', then I must change 'foo' so that its characters now
match the 1251 codepage, and I may have to rewrite foo yet again for
'touch /zipdrive/foo'.

   Urgh. This is certainly ugly. I thought that Linux would be taking
UTF-8 or something like it for all filesystems and then do the codepage
conversions itself depending on the underlying filesystem. I thought
that this was the point of having all the codepage information in the
kernel for fat filesystems.

 "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff on
       ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;)" -- Linus Torvalds