dynamic .fon conversion

Huw D M Davies h.davies1 at physics.ox.ac.uk
Wed Apr 3 14:20:46 CST 2002

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 11:38:53PM +0900, Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
> "Huw D M Davies" <h.davies1 at physics.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > >    Now, IIRC (Huw will correct me if I'm wrong), it was said that
> > > FreeType also supports Postscript fonts and .fon fonts. So the way to go
> > > would be to extend Wine's FreeType support to .fon fonts.
> >
> > Yes, that's the idea.  At the moment we ignore any font that isn't
> > sfnt format (that's anything that isn't TT or OpenType).  The issues
> > are that we need to implement something sensible for GetGlyphOutline
> > and GetOutlineTextMetrics for bitmap or Type1 fonts.
>
> I would expect that for at least very first time that functions will
> fail for bitmap fonts and return glyph data in GGO_BEZIER format for
> Type1 fonts. Later we can add cubic <-> quadratic spline conversion
> routines and some special handling for bitmap fonts. Most applications
> don't use or provide advanced vector graphics at all. As a side effect
> of adding support for bitmap fonts will be retired x11drv font support.
> and a possibility for real WYSIWYG in printing.

For bitmap fonts to be useful GetGlyphOutline will have to return the
bitmaps for GGO_BITMAP (this probably isn't what Windows does, but I
think we can live with the difference).  Of course once we do it for
.fon's then .pcf/.bdf come almost for free.  Actually I expect the
hard bit is getting the TEXTMETRICs right.

Huw.