Installing MS Office gives error in installer

Rizsanyi Zsolt rizsanyi at myrealbox.com
Wed Apr 17 17:46:47 CDT 2002

On Wednesday 17 April 2002 21:42, Speeddymon wrote:
> I just recently installed wine-20020411 (as you may
> have noticed from my patch)
> I haven't tried installing Office 2000 on previous
> versions, but heard that it worked, so I decided to
> try it.  First I tried it in Crossover Office (since i
> just recently got that also) and the Office 2000
> installer complained that it couldnt find a package to
> install on the installation media.  So I tried it in
> wine and it did the same thing...  There were no debug
> messages or anything (in the console).
>
> If anyone knows of a way around this, please let me
> know...  If it has been mentioned before please point
> me to the right wine-devel archive so I can find it...

I have also dared to try to install office2k, and had the same problem.
But I have found a workaround...
When the installation fails, the MSI installer is already copied to your
windows directory (I think its name is installmsi.exe or something like that
- I dont have it at hand). So I have tried to invoke it with the msi file in
the root of the CD (the data1.msi or something like that - the other msi is
something else).
This way the installation started. The configuration of what programs to
install worked perfectly, but when copying the files the installer broke, and
said that it can't write a file. I dont know what was the problem. I had
enough space, the persmissions were ok, and so on.

I have tried again, and the installer broke again but now with a different
file. So I give up, since I don't really need it to install, just I wanted to
see what the people are talking about... But if you find a solution (or
submit a patch :), then I will be interested...

Best regards,
Zsolt Rizsanyi