Installing MS Office gives error in installer

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Thu Apr 18 09:32:24 CDT 2002

> cheaply? Im sure this is an OOS Project, are we all leaches upon the
> linux community?...I feel a little cheap since I downloaded a couple of
> Debain ISO's without paying for them. We use Wine to test out Windows
> Apps in Wine...so its no great surprise Office 2000 has become an issue.
>
> > This is the same issue for Transgaming's WineX - want to run full game? then
> > subscribe and support them please..
> >
> > And if you want to flame me - my email is right here - fire away.
>
> Scenerio: What *If* I (or someone else) had a few sane bug fixes, that
> allowed Office 2000 to work? What would happen?, "Umm sorry we cant
> commit this....because we feel you're too cheap to buy Codeweavers great
> product!"

I want there to be no question on this issue.  In no way do we intend
or do we ever desire our work to harm or impede the forward progress
of the Wine project.

There is no way I would demand that Alexandre reject a patch and
you wouldn't want to hear what he would say to me if I I made such a
demand <grin>.

> Fixing Issues such as getting Office 2000 to work  should be in the same
> catagory as fixing support for any other App using wine. And it
> *shouldnt* be delyed just because it "Office 2000". Im Getting the
> feeling the codeweavers is failing to commit any code that would promote
> any *decent* workable progress of Office 2000 using Wine CVS.

With all due respect, I resent the implication that we are deliberately
crippling the public Wine CVS tree.

We have merged nearly all of our code (there are pieces of it that
have not been merged, but only because they are unforgivable
hacks that Alexandre will not commit.)  As a consequence of our work,
Office and a wide range of applications now work far
better than they have ever done.

Now, I will say that our first priority is, and always will be,
focusing on our customers and making sure that Wine works
well for them.  So, no, we will not rush out and focus on
polishing the Wine CVS to the same level we offer our customers.

But impede it?  We would rather go out of business first.

Cheers,

Jeremy