Using WineLib directly

Zavada, Ed EZavada at ea.com
Thu Apr 18 08:45:05 CDT 2002

I've seen this question asked before, but there was never a response to the newsgroup.

We'd like to use WineLib to provide implementations of the Windows calls in our application's Linux build while we work on a full blown port. So far, all the documentation requires that we use winebuild and generate a .so that is loaded by the wine server. Is this truely the only way to do this?

Is there no way to just use the various libraries independent of wine server? For instance, I'd like to be able to make a call to MessageBox() from a native linux binary, then later eliminate the need for it (since this will ultimately be a console app).

Thanks,
Ed Zavada
Lead Server Engineer
The Sims Online