ALSA driver

Gavriel State gav at transgaming.com
Fri Apr 19 17:08:23 CDT 2002

Ove Kaaven wrote:
> On 19 Apr 2002, Marco Pietrobono wrote:
>

>>  I'm starting to work on a native ALSA driver for wine. Since I
>>remember that Marcus was working (or was planning to work) an that one
>>too, I would like to know if there is already something to work on or to
>>contribute to, or if I need to start from scratch.
>
> You must be mistaken, Eric Pouech was working on the ALSA driver. This
> driver is also pretty much complete, just bugfixes remain. Unfortunately,
> it's currently in the cold slimy clutches (from the LGPL-Wine perspective)
> of TransGaming staff, who might not want to part with it without getting
> some of that glorious LGPL code in Wine relicensed in exchange...

Actually, we have no official claim over the ALSA driver - we offered to
sponsor Eric Poech's development, but he asked that we put it into another
sponsorship instead.  I am going to try to get the details of our proposals
to trade / sponsor some code up next week.  We have this DIB engine we've
been working on for a bit, for example....

It is true though that TransGaming's David Hammerton 'has his clutches' on
the code - he's been working on it with Eric in his spare time.  That said,
I just checked and while his hands are kind of cold, they didn't appear
to be at all slimy.  David said that he might try to check it into the ReWind
tree this weekend.

  -Gav

--
Gavriel State, CEO