ALSA driver

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Sat Apr 20 15:06:52 CDT 2002

Eric Pouech wrote:
> the point is not whether 0.5 is technically better than 0.9 (or the
> other
> way around). The point is on the current installed base of ALSA drivers
> in the field, how many are 0.5 and how many are 0.9.
> Mandrake and Suse (at least) have been shipping 0.5 for more than one
> year, whereas 0.9 is brand new.

Perhaps not quite brand new, at least in "computer years" ;) In any
case, I think that it is not unreasonable to expect someone wanting to
run wine with sound to install 0.9. Relative newbies might get a bit of
a shock at having to recompile their kernels to get ALSA. But I think
many users, well at least me, would be rather disappointed at being
expected to run 0.5 (assuming that would be required).

...just my opinion though.