Installing MS Office gives error in installer

Rizsanyi Zsolt rizsanyi at myrealbox.com
Wed Apr 24 19:38:17 CDT 2002

On Wednesday 24 April 2002 19:31, Speeddymon wrote:
> --- Rizsanyi Zsolt <rizsanyi at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 23 April 2002 19:51, Speeddymon wrote:
> > > what i was saying before though was that the
> >
> > windows
> >
> > > link files (.lnk extension) weren't being put into
> >
> > the
> >
> > > kde menu, i believe it is a bug/problem in
> >
> > 20020411
> >
> > > wine mainly due to that fact that that wine
> >
> > wouldn't
> >
> > > install the icons but crossover office wine
> > > would...who knows, all is well now on my computer
> > > though.  thanks for the help guys.
> >
> > The wineshelllink (the script responsible for
> > installing the lnk files in the
> > desktop menu) in the cvs wine assumes, that if you
> > have a .kde directory in
> > your home, then you have kde 1.x installed.
> > And install kde 2.x files only if you have a .kde2
> > directory in your home
> > folder.
> > But on some systems (eg. RedHat), the kde config
> > files are in .kde in home
> > directory. That is the reason why the .desktop files
> > are not installed on
> > some systems.
> >
> > I have fixed wineshelllink in my cvs copy of wine,
> > but never submitted it,
> > because, I'm not really sure how to fix it to work
> > on all the systems (I dont
> > know how the other packagers do it).
> > But if somebody needs, it I'm attaching the patch...
> >
> > Best regards
> > Zsolt Rizsanyi
>
> hmm that has me wondering...  i will take a look at
> that tonight as i will have more time then (just gonna
> run home to get my zip disk right now) and see what I
> can come up with in terms of having wineshelllink
> finding the correct version.....  we may need to
> remove the direcory checking stuff altogether... i
> have a couple ideas...  1) explicitly ask them for
> their kde version the first time wineshelllink is run
> (but then they would have to manually change the
> version number if they upgrade it) 2) always ask what
> the version # is... 3) read a file created by kde that
> has the version # in it (if one exists) 4) run some
> kde command with the --version arg and use it's output
> to get the kde version if possible
>
> 1 and 2 could be implemented directly in bash but then
> you have the problem of what if it doesn't get run in
> a terminal, so you could also have someone make a
> gtk/tk program that asks and is called from
> wineshelllink or you could do both and have 1 run if
> $display is set and the other one run if it isn't...
>
> just some thoughts...

I dont think you should go by asking the user. You cant be sure, if he knows
it right. The question is not only about its kde version, but also the
directory of his config files...

Besides, this script is not intended to ask for user input.

You will be better of, if you just fix my patch, to not copy to .kde by
default, but check if there exists a .kde2 and in that case to copy there.

You should not make that script to cope with every possible setup. That would
be an overkill.
You should just make it to work with all the major distros.
Other distros, and individuals with special setup should change the
wineshelllink before installing or packaging.

At most you could make tools/wineinstall ask for the needed info and generate
wineshellink according to it. I like this idea...

Best regards
Zsolt Rizsanyi