Compiling the latest version of wine ...

Fabrizio Regalli fab at telvia.it
Wed Apr 24 19:28:37 CDT 2002

Hello,
I'm trying to compile the latest version of wine, but I see some problem:

./configure && make dep && make , works fine. After that I see this:

root at bizio:/home/rizla/wine-20020411# ./tools/wineinstall
WINE Installer v0.72

You are running wineinstall as root, this is not advisable. Please rerun as a
user.
Aborting.

Ok, I switch user from root to rizla

rizla at bizio:~/wine-20020411$ ./tools/wineinstall

..and It' works..
WINE Installer v0.72

Warning !! wine binary (still) found, which may indicate
a (conflicting) previous installation.
You might want to abort and uninstall Wine first.

I see that WINE has already been configured, so I'll skip that.

We need to install wine as root user, do you want us to
'su root' and install Wine?  Enter 'no' to continue without installing
(yes/no)

-I ANSWER YES-Wine build complete.

Performing 'make install' as root to install binaries, enter root password
Password:

(I put my EXACT password, casesensitive too but I see this)/bin/bash: - :
unrecognized option

Either you entered an incorrect password or we failed to run
'make install' correctly.
If you didn't enter an incorrect password then please report this
error to wine-devel at winehq.com.

Installation failed, aborting.

How to solve this problem ?

If i answer NO at the question of su - root , it seems work as user but, when
it try to configure something, it has stopped.

 We need to install wine as root user, do you want us to build wine,
'su root' and install Wine?  Enter 'no' to continue without installing
(yes/no) no

NOTE! To run Wine without installing, you must set the environment variable
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /home/rizla/wine-20020411:/home/rizla/wine-20020411/dlls
in your logon scripts.

Create local config file ~/.wine/config?
(yes/no) yes

Searching for an existing Windows installation... found.

Created /home/rizla/.wine/config using your existing Windows installation.
You probably want to review the file, though.

..and it has stopped without the prompt...

I'm using slack 8 with kernel 2.4.18

Bye and thanks