CD-ROM not recognized

Dustin Navea speeddymon at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 27 15:54:21 CDT 2002

--- "Ian D. Stewart" <idstewart at compuvative.com>
wrote:
> Howdy Folks,
>
> I'm trying to run Cryo's Arthur's Knights under
> wine.  I've managed to
> install using setup.exe, but when I go to play the
> game, I get an error
> message telling me to insert CD #1, even though CD
> #1 is in the CD-ROM
> tray and mounted.
>
> Any clues as to why I would be getting this message,
> how to convince the
> game that the CD is actually in the CD-ROM drive, or
> how to research any
> of these issues myself?
>

> Thanx,
> Ian
>

> --
> "How am I supposed to blend?  I'm two feet taller
> than everybody else in here!"
>         -- Chris Tucker
>         Rush Hour 2

hello, i noticed your problem and thought I would take
a gander at it.  It could only be 1 thing and there
are 3 ways to try to solve it.  The problem is that
the game more than likely uses copy protection to
prevent software pirates (warez kiddies) from making
illegal copies of it.  Under the cd drive's section
([Drive D] or whatever) remove the line that says
"Label" = that will allow wine to read the name of the
CD...some games use the name of the cd as their only
copy protection (Frogger 2), and if that is the case
with your cd, then that would fix it.  The 2nd way
would be if they used some sort of on-cd copy
protection (safedisc or securerom), to check out
TransGaming's version of wine (dubbed WineX).  It has
many games supported (has the ability to read
safedisc/securerom-enabled cd's) and would be able to
read it.  If that doesn't work, you can always call
for a vote for them to support it and put the
safedisc/securerom code into their program.  The 3rd
and least recommended way is to get what is called a
crack.  It allows you to use the game without the cd
being in the drive.  But remember though that the
government of the US and many other countries
considers it illegal and you could go to jail for
using one.  Most users have no problem using cracks
though, because they do own the game, and there isnt
any law that says that you can't disable the cd
checking if you legally own the game, so its really a
morality issue there.  I won't tell you where to get
them (for the sake of morality and because the
maintainers of this list probably wouldn't like it
anyways), but they aren't too hard to find, ask around
on IRC and you can probably find it...

-Dustin