Compilation error with newer CVS on glibc -2.0

Martin Cracauer cracauer at cons.org
Thu Aug 1 07:18:32 CDT 2002

Hi, guys,

since Jul 20 or so I get this compilation error on
glibc-2.1.3/linux-2.4.18:

gcc -c -I. -I. -I../../include -I../../include  -g -O2 -Wall -fno-strength-reduce -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -D__WINE__ -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/X11R6/include -o wrc.o wrc.c
In file included from wrc.h:25,
                 from wrc.c:61:
wrctypes.h:447: redefinition of `struct user'
make[2]: *** [wrc.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/disks/part9/home/cracauer/work/cvs-packages-work/stupids/wine/wine/tools/wrc'

Wine's definition of struct user is clashing with the one from
/usr/include/sys/user.h

Now, it appears that /usr/include/sys/user.h (a glibc-2.1.3 file) is
in error having this struct in first place, since newer kernels have
this struct in asm/user.h.

I fixed the problem in my /usr/include, but I guess it is better to
use a different name for the struct in Wine to be compatible with this
configuration (it's Debian-2.1 with an upgraded kernel).

Unless somebody disagrees with that analysis, I'll submit a patch to
rename the struct.  Suggestions about a suitable name welcome.

Martin