Recent patches introduced a regression error

Paul Millar paulm at astro.gla.ac.uk
Thu Aug 1 13:26:39 CDT 2002

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, [iso-8859-1] Sylvain Petreolle wrote:
> http://www.winehq.com/hypermail/wine-devel/2002/07/0386.html

Hi Sylvain,

Sorry, I meant to reply to that email earlier. I've notice the same or
similar thing with WRT. If you look at around Friday July 19 (see Win3.0
tests column in [1]), you'll see four tests weren't conducted. Next build
cycle they were.

The same thing happened earlier, although less clearly, around 5th July
(see [2]).  On Friday, new regression tests were added, two of which
failed straight away (the C:, D: problem). Because the tests are only
known by their file-name and line-number, the new tests cause the "-27
tests +42 tests" on each build. Except, for Win2.0 tests 31 tests were not
conducted, ie 4 extra test. The following Monday, these tests were
conducted, but 4 tests were not conducted for the Win3.1 platform, only
for those tests to be conducted on Tuesday (+59 tests for Win3.1 instead
of +55).

What happened was this: the patches tend to be applied during the night
(local time) and unless I happen to be working late, I discover the
effects of the patches in the morning.  For those particular builds I
discovered that the regression tests had frozen, just as you describe. I
had to kill wine so the cycle could complete. With a bit of detective
work, I traced the problem down to wininet.  It seemed that the exact
order in which the tests are run is random (multiple threads? -- I haven't
had a chance to check the code yet).

As the problem didn't immediately resurface after Monday 8th July, I
assumed that it was a low-probability thread contention/deadlock issue. I
tried conducting just the regression tests for wininet, without being able
to reproducing the problem, but I didn't think to try the whole tests
(just assumed that the tests were independent).

It looks like something has changed, so the occasional-hard-lock problem
has been replaced by the system freezing for many minutes before reporting
a regression test failure.

So, Sylvain, when you run the tests now, does it eventually time-out
returning a error, or does it freeze forever?

Cheers,

Paul

[1] http://www.astro.gla.ac.uk/users/paulm/WRT/wrt.php?max=5&start=102
[2] http://www.astro.gla.ac.uk/users/paulm/WRT/wrt.php?max=5&start=94