Isn't 'make depend' optional?

Joerg Mayer jmayer at loplof.de
Mon Aug 5 09:49:21 CDT 2002

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 11:22:54PM +0900, Bang Jun-Young wrote:
> In what cases?

I don't know.

> I think you never understand what the purpose of 'make depend' is.

You may be right here :-) I think make depend builds for each source file
a list of all other files it includes (recursively). So if one of theses
files has changed, an existing object file get rebuild.
So if something in the include or #define structure (e.g. config.h)
changes, you need to do a new make depend.

That's my understanding of what make depend is good for.

 Ciao
      Jörg
--
Joerg Mayer                                          <jmayer at loplof.de>
I found out that "pro" means "instead of" (as in proconsul). Now I know