Isn't 'make depend' optional?

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Mon Aug 5 21:58:24 CDT 2002

Andriy Palamarchuk <apa3a at yahoo.com> writes:

> As I understand one could even use "make clean &&
> make" instead of "make depend" on updated source tree.

In theory yes, but in practice this isn't guaranteed to work. The
reason is that some headers are generated at build time, and thus need
proper dependencies in order to be generated in the right order. So we
either have to require make depend before building, or manually
maintain the dependencies for these headers. Neither solution is
perfect, but at least the make depend approach has the advantage that
it doesn't break if you change a #include and forget to update the
makefile.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com