making FreeReport work...

Andriy Palamarchuk apa3a at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 9 10:18:36 CDT 2002

Hi Grzegorz,

--- Grzegorz Prokopski <greg at sente.pl> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Since 2 days I am trying to get FreeReport working.
> (http://freereprot.sf.net/). It is important part of
> an app I am
> trying to use with wine. Or rather the part that
> causes the problem :-/
>
> For tests - I created 10-liner app (with Borland C++
> Builder) that only
> uses FR and calls one function from it. It crashes
> exactly the same way
> as the big app. I attached the output (it looks
> terribly in email
> clients, as the lines are much longer than 80
> chars).

As you have sources of the library you are trying to
use you can create a minimal example which works on
Windows but fails on Wine by commenting out
unnecessary stuff. This will be much easier to handle.

[skipped]
> 3. Can you give me some advices where to start? I
> know assembler,
> I can use dbg. Got the tools - what am I looking
> for? (I know winapi
> as I used it some time ago, but not VCL)

A relay trace may help you a lot, see using
instructions here:
http://www.winehq.org/docs/wine-devel/debugging.shtml
http://wine.codeweavers.com/fom-meta/cache/266.html

The trace will show you what Windows API calls are
being made, this will help you to localize place of
error. You are also free to add the debugging message
to Wine itself (install Wine from sources for this).

Andriy