Very basic question concerning compiling WINE

Medland, Bill Bill.Medland at accpac.com
Mon Aug 12 10:18:06 CDT 2002

I echo Tony's views.  However the following might be useful to you.

It is possible to get approximately monthly updates to the rpms on RedHat;
the LinuxEasy rpm copies available via www.winehq.com/downloads (if they are
available) are in the correct version.  I would certainly say that you will
need to upgrade or replace the one that comes with RedHat 7.3.  It's great
that RedHat provide it but that version is woefully out-of-date now.

However I would seriously advocate building from scratch.  (Before doing so,
remember to uninstall the wine that RedHat put there).

I have been building Wine on RedHat for a year and a half now; on RedHat 7.3
for many months.  I find it quite easy.

Bill