right way to compile wine with a "buildroot" DESTDIR is missing

Raul Dias chaos at swi.com.br
Wed Aug 14 17:47:16 CDT 2002

Alexandre Julliard <julliard at winehq.com> wrote:
>Raul Dias <chaos at swi.com.br> writes:
>
>> After building I have to use an ugly make install
>> in orther to install it into another dir that is different
>> from the one.
>
>What's so ugly about that make install?  Could you show us the
>commands you are using?

make 	\
  prefix=%{buildroot}%{_prefix} \
  bindir=%{buildroot}%{_bindir}	\
  libdir=%{buildroot}%{_libdir} \
  mandir=%{buildroot}%{_mandir} \
  dlldir=%{buildroot}%{_libdir}/%{name} \
  includedir=%{buildroot}/%{_includedir}/%{name} \
  datadir=%{buildroot}/%{_datadir} \
  LDCONFIG=/bin/true \
  install

just notice that I build as a non-root user.
%{...} are macros expanded to path names.

>> So what I really would like to know is
>> which way is the right way to install wine in a dir different
>> than %prefix or /usr/local (default %prefix)?
>
>The right way is to run configure with the final prefix, run make, and
>then run make install with the prefix set to the package build
>location.

just setting the prefix in the make install won't work.

>> Is there any chance to get a DESTDIR implemented in the Makefiles?
>
>Sure, if there is a good reason for it.

I hope that this is :)

[]'s
Raul Dias