right way to compile wine with a "buildroot" DESTDIR is missing

Raul Dias chaos at swi.com.br
Wed Aug 14 19:56:45 CDT 2002

Vincent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?B=E9ron?= <vberon at mecano.gme.usherb.ca> wrote:
>Le mer 14/08/2002 à 18:47, Raul Dias a écrit :
>> Alexandre Julliard <julliard at winehq.com> wrote:

>> >What's so ugly about that make install?  Could you show us the
>> >commands you are using?
>>
>> make 	\
>>   prefix=%{buildroot}%{_prefix} \
>>   bindir=%{buildroot}%{_bindir}	\
>>   libdir=%{buildroot}%{_libdir} \
>>   mandir=%{buildroot}%{_mandir} \
>>   dlldir=%{buildroot}%{_libdir}/%{name} \
>>   includedir=%{buildroot}/%{_includedir}/%{name} \
>>   datadir=%{buildroot}/%{_datadir} \
>>   LDCONFIG=/bin/true \
>>   install
>>
>> just notice that I build as a non-root user.
>> %{...} are macros expanded to path names.
>
>The paths for prefix, bindir, libdir, mandir and dlldir don't have a
>slash between the $(buildroot) and %(_somethingelse) parts, while the
>includedir and datadir do.
>Could you check which one is the right way to go? (Or if it doesn't
>change anything?)

the %{_macros} does have the / in the beginning.

>Else, from an old (20020614) install log that I had laying around, you
>seem to have covered all the necessary directories. In addition to what
>I already said, you can also define exec_prefix (default is same thing
>as prefix), infodir ($(prefix)/info) and sysconfdir ($(prefix)/etc).

the ones above are the necessary ones, at least for now.
I know this by doing a "make install" and adding the ones needed as error
shows up (like the includedir one).

>Question regarding the installation process: in the Makefiles, all the
>directories (except prefix) are defined wrt prefix. Shouldn't setting
>prefix at installation time should be enough then?

Not for me at least.
Here is how things are in my Makefile:

[chaos at speedy wine-20020804]$ grep dlldir Makefile -B 9
prefix          = /usr
exec_prefix     = /usr
bindir          = /usr/bin
libdir          = /usr/lib
datadir         = /usr/share
infodir         = /usr/share/info
mandir          = /usr/share/man
sysconfdir      = /etc/wine
includedir      = /usr/include/wine/wine
dlldir          = /usr/lib/wine

>Answer: yes, setting only prefix= at installation time works (at least
>with the 20020614 source I had), and all the other directories under it
>are created correctly. Maybe something changed since then in the
>installation process.

as I showed before, it doesn't (at least for me).

[]'s
Raul Dias