right way to compile wine with a "buildroot" DESTDIR is missing

Raul Dias chaos at swi.com.br
Wed Aug 14 20:20:20 CDT 2002

Ove Kaaven <ovehk at ping.uio.no> wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Raul Dias wrote:
>
>> Ove Kaaven <ovehk at ping.uio.no> wrote:

>> >It works for my Debian packages with just prefix and libdir:
>> >
>> >$(MAKE) install prefix=`pwd`/debian/tmp/usr libdir=`pwd`/debian/tmp/usr/lib
>> >

>> Are you sure?
>
>OK, perhaps it has something to do with my configure invocation.
>
>CFLAGS="$(CFLAGS)" ./configure --with-x --enable-opengl --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc \
>--libdir=\$${prefix}/lib --mandir=\$${prefix}/share/man --infodir=\$${prefix}/share/info

That's it!

configure is called with rpm location macros as:

./configure --prefix=%{_prefix} --libdir=%{_libdir} and so on

that is expanded to:

./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib ....

In turn this variables won't rely on ${prefix} in Makefile.

Actually, this is the desirable situation in rpm as to change a path,
you just have to change the macro without reworking the specfile.

This is also the reason why most application does have a DESTDIR variable
in the makefiles.  This way they don't have to rely on the prefix variable
to install on different location.

Alexandre,
Do you think this reason is good enough to consider DESTDIR support in wine?

[]'s
Raul Dias