New user/developer has questions ...

Crispen Scott C.Scott at astronautics.com
Fri Aug 16 08:56:04 CDT 2002

I have just RPMed wine-20020512-1.i386.rpm and attempted to run several WIN
programs (to wit: sol.exe and a proprietary package).
Both fail.  I am including the entire run/error message from my attempt to run
sol.exe below.  Being new to WINE, I have no idea where
to begin to find the problem.  I have annotated the error message with notes.
All notes are separated by a

<NOTE - TEXT> then a CR and follows the line(s) that the NOTE applies to.

[root at localhost root]# wine /mnt/windows/windows/system32/sol.exe
<NOTE - This is the command line entry >

err:reg:_convert_win95_registry_to_wine_format unable to load native win95
registry file C:\WINDOWS\system.dat: unknown signature.
err:reg:_convert_win95_registry_to_wine_format Unable to load native win95
registry file C:\WINDOWS\system.dat.
err:reg:_convert_win95_registry_to_wine_format Please report to
a.mohr at mailto.de.
err:reg:_convert_win95_registry_to_wine_format Make a backup of the file, run
a good reg cleaner program and try again!
<NOTE - The SYSTEM.DAT file located in the windows SUBDIR was exported from
regedit.exe.  This is from a WIN2K OS >

fixme:win32:PE_CreateModule Security directory ignored
<NOTE - I assume this is a FIXME in the SRC>

err:font:AddFontFileToList Unable to load font file
"/mnt/windows/windows/Fonts/desktop.ini" err = 55
<NOTE - This file exists in the proper location so what is the error?>

err:font:AddFontFileToList Already loaded font L"Garamond" L"Bold"
err:font:AddFontFileToList Already loaded font L"Garamond" L"Italic"
err:font:AddFontFileToList Already loaded font L"Garamond" L"Regular"

err:font:AddFontFileToList Unable to load font file
"/mnt/windows/windows/Fonts/modern.fon" err = 2
err:font:AddFontFileToList Unable to load font file
"/mnt/windows/windows/Fonts/mtsorts.ttf" err = 2
err:font:AddFontFileToList Unable to load font file
"/mnt/windows/windows/Fonts/roman.fon" err = 2
err:font:AddFontFileToList Unable to load font file
"/mnt/windows/windows/Fonts/script.fon" err = 2
<NOTE - These files exist so why are they able to be loaded?>

X Error of failed request:  XF86DGANoDirectVideoMode
  Major opcode of failed request:  136 (XFree86-DGA)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  22 (XDGAOpenFramebuffer)
  Serial number of failed request:  181
<NOTE - What does this indicate?>

I am trying to come up to speed on the use of WINE but, as everyone knows,
 the documentation is a little light
as is the commenting of the source code.  If someone could please head me in
the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Once I have gained some additional expertise in WINE I will use my 15+ years
of Windows development experience and knowledge
to try and resolve some of the issues and bugs that are reported.  This may
take me several more weeks.

I am also intending to write a technical book on WINE so will submit chapters
for review to the community as the become available.
Much of the information will deal with the issues the I, as a newbie, am
encountering.

I await the response.

Crispen Scott

BTW: I downloaded the source for 20020804 and, after fixing several build
related problems (incorrect build order, root objections, & eliminating
programs with build problems I couldn't readily resolve, i.e. widl), I had
even worse problems with trying to get that version of wine to run. That is
why I reverted to the latest RPM version.   Some of the problems with the
20020804 build might be resolved after I see the answers to the problems I
stated above.

I am excited about becoming an integral part of this community but need some
start-up help!
Thanks!

--
Crispen Scott