thread confusion

Bill Medland billmedland at look.ca
Tue Aug 20 16:51:57 CDT 2002

I just noticed this while looking into a problem with the ComboBox code.  It
makes no sense to me.

The application runs a container executable which then loads up an OCX
(based on the command line).  Part of that OCX includes a control based on
the ComboBox control.  (That's another story).

I added a couple of MessageBox calls in the source of the control's code.
While the OCX was loading the "before" and "after" message boxes were
displayed as expected.  However once the OCX was up and I pulled down the
dropdown list the "before" message box popped up TWICE and you had to say OK
to them in the correct order to get the pair of "after" boxes.  So I
included GetCurrentThreadID in the message they displayed, thinking that we
now had two threads.  But both had (or appeared to have) the same thread ID.
So I turned on the dialog warnings and, yes, the second call to MessageBox
was occurring while the first was still executing.

Anyone know what is going on there?

Bill