Wine Hides On-board RAM

Ian D. Stewart idstewart at compuvative.com
Mon Aug 26 22:46:01 CDT 2002

On 2002.08.26 09:03 Derek Broughton wrote:
> From: "Ian D. Stewart" <idstewart at compuvative.com>
>
> > I have no problem with upgrading, but I would like to know *why* I
> am
> > upgrading (i.e., what bug is causing the problem, and how does the
> new
> > kernel address the bug).  To do otherwise strikes me as being
> > equivelant to the tendency in the Windows community whenever
> something
> > odd happens.
>
> Not at all.  Wine has always been distributed as 'alpha' software, and
> thus
> we can expect that a lot of things are continuously getting fixed.
> Nobody's
> going to try fixing something that's only reported in an old version
> of the
> software.  So you upgrade, test again, and if it's still a problem
> report
> the bug.

I thonk you misunderstood my e-mail.  The problem apparently does not
lie with Wine per se (I have no problem with upgrading Wine, especially
considering its alpha status and active development, and have on
several occasions IOT track down regression bugs), but rather with the
memory management aspects of the Linux kernel.

> To differentiate from Windows, nobody's suggesting you remove and
> reinstall
> Linux, here :-)

Unless I misunderstood Andreas' e-mail, that i pretty much what he is
recomending.

Ian