removing mp3 code

Patrik Stridvall ps at leissner.se
Thu Aug 29 04:05:10 CDT 2002

> Apparently distributing even mp3 decoders is not royaltee
> free anymore,
> according to the slashdot thread and the Thomson MultiMedia pages.
>
> So we probably should remove the msacm mp3 decoder we include. :(

At the very least we should make it compile option that is
by default disabled.

I don't think we need to go that far as to remove it.
IIRC LAME an mp3 ENCODER (that was non royalty free even before)
got around it by only distributing source code and so can we.

BTW:
Why do we include a mp3 decoder in the Wine tree?
Why not just link to an external library?
I can't see maintaining a mp3 decoder being in the best
intrest of Wine anyway patents or not...