regression: msvc4.0 install dies sooner now

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Dec 1 18:12:38 CST 2002

I found an unopened copy of msvc++ 4.0 at a garage sale last year for $5,
couldn't resist.  Today I finally tried to install it under Wine.

wine-20020605-2 (rh8):
installer started; when I clicked on 'Install Visual C++',
it put up a 'Installing... please wait' dialog, then failed with a
'Can't read version info from C:\windows\kernel386.drv' message
(more or less), then hung.

wine-20021125 (from source):
installer started; when I clicked on 'Install Visual C++', it hung.

Looks like a regression to me.

Logs of --debugmsg +relay are up at
http://www.kegel.com/msvc4setup-wine20020605.log.bz2
http://www.kegel.com/msvc4setup-wine20021125.log.bz2
The latter file is 28MB uncompressed, 512KB compressed.

I'm now building the intermediate releases of wine to
see if I can narrow down when the regression occurred.

- Dan