regression: msvc4.0 install dies sooner now

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Dec 2 01:19:49 CST 2002

Dan Kegel wrote:
> I found an unopened copy of msvc++ 4.0 at a garage sale last year for $5,
> couldn't resist.  Today I finally tried to install it under Wine.

OK, more details.  I switched to testing the simplest
function of msvc's setup program: the exit button.
All I do is click on the exit button.  (Easy, right?)
It works fine in Wine-20020804, but fails in Wine-20020904 and later.

Logs at
http://www.kegel.com/msvc4-setup-wine-20020804.ok.log.bz2
http://www.kegel.com/msvc4-setup-wine-20020904.bad.log.bz2

The interesting part is the 1000 lines after the line containing 'Button';
it looks like in the later wines, the program gets stuck
in a WaitForSingleObject, maybe.  I have to kill Wine to recover.

Next step appears to be for me to download
ftp://ftp.winehq.com/pub/wine/wine-cvsdirs-20020804.tar.gz
and start fetching the cvs tree as of particular days in
August, and figure out exactly which commit caused the regression.
What cvs command do I use to do that (it's not documented on
winehq.com, I think)?  Or is there a better way?

Thanks,
Dan