regression: msvc4.0 install dies sooner now

Greg Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Mon Dec 2 02:04:47 CST 2002

On Monday 02 December 2002 01:19 am, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Dan Kegel wrote:
> > I found an unopened copy of msvc++ 4.0 at a garage sale last year
> > for $5, couldn't resist.  Today I finally tried to install it under
> > Wine.
>
> OK, more details.  I switched to testing the simplest
> function of msvc's setup program: the exit button.
> All I do is click on the exit button.  (Easy, right?)
> It works fine in Wine-20020804, but fails in Wine-20020904 and later.
>
> Logs at
> http://www.kegel.com/msvc4-setup-wine-20020804.ok.log.bz2
> http://www.kegel.com/msvc4-setup-wine-20020904.bad.log.bz2
>
> The interesting part is the 1000 lines after the line containing
> 'Button'; it looks like in the later wines, the program gets stuck
> in a WaitForSingleObject, maybe.  I have to kill Wine to recover.
>
> Next step appears to be for me to download
> ftp://ftp.winehq.com/pub/wine/wine-cvsdirs-20020804.tar.gz
> and start fetching the cvs tree as of particular days in
> August, and figure out exactly which commit caused the regression.
> What cvs command do I use to do that (it's not documented on
> winehq.com, I think)?  Or is there a better way?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

cvs is the "right way" although I forget how it's done.  I've used tkcvs
for this sort of thing.  it's a horrible anachronistic kinda gui but it
has a really useful graphical view of each file's history in there that
can be a huge help when tracking down a particular change.  A picture
is worth 1000 keystrokes sometimes...

--
gmt