Wine/FF7 midi help request

Jeff Smith whydoubt at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 2 09:54:18 CST 2002

>From: Robotech_Master <robotech at eyrie.org>
>
>On Tue Jun 11 2002 - 13:50:43 CDT Johan Gill wrote (as part of a
>discussion about midi in WINE in which FF7 was mentioned):
>
> > Done. TiMidity++-2.12.0beta as alsa sequencer client requires no
> > modification to wine at all, and the OSS emulation of ALSA makes the
> > thing transparent to WINE.
>
>Can you, or someone, please let me know how to set up wine to use
>this?  I'm running Debian Linux; these are the versions of timidity
>and wine that I have:
>
>ii  timidity       2.11.2-1.3     Software-only MIDI sequencer.
>ii  wine           0.0.20021125-1 Windows Emulator (Binary Emulator)

This is something I would not mind knowing myself.  It's not too high a
priority for me though as I have SoundFonts working on my SBLive now.

>For sound, I'm using artsdsp 0.6.1 to emulate esd.  I have a
>Soundblaster live card.
>
>On the FF7 config program, it gives me the choices
>
>     Wine OSS midi out (#0) - disabled
>     EMU10K1 midi

This looks like what I would get from the OSS driver - emu10k1.
The module name for the ALSA driver is snd-emu10k1.  The choices
I would expect from ALSA's OSS emulation would be something like:
  Emu10k1
  MIDI 0-0
  Emu10k1 Port 0
  Emu10k1 Port 1
  Emu10k1 Port 2
  Emu10k1 Port 3

>Under "midi data" it gives me the choises
>
>     General midi
>     Soundfont midi (Creative AWE32/AWE64)
>     Yamaha XG midi

I would imagine this should stay on General midi unless you are
*sure* it needs to be on another selection.

>No matter what I try, in whatever combination, I get "Error opening
>device" and the wine console says
>
>fixme:winmm:MIDI_StreamOpen *lpuDeviceID=1
>fixme:dsound:IDirectSoundImpl_SetCooperativeLevel
>(0x403ab930,0001003c,3):stub
>
>Can someone help me out--or point me at somewhere else I can find
>help?

Try running it like this ...
wine -debugmsg +winmm,+midi,+msacm program_name.exe
... and send the output.

-- Jeff S